You love Christmas shopping and naturally you’ve heard of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, right? Well here’s a new ‘Day’ to celebrate during the Holiday Season—a day to give back. It’s called Giving Tuesday or #GivingTuesday.
On Tuesday November 27, 2012, giving back will have its opening day. Retailers, charities, online organizations, community centers, individuals, and families will come together to create #GivingTuesday. It’s a national movement and unified message that will harness the power of a collective voice to help make a difference.
What’s The Mission?
#GivingTuesday™ is a campaign to create a national day of giving at the start of the annual holiday season. It celebrates and encourages charitable activities that support nonprofit organizations.
#GivingTuesday is not a new giving platform, but a call to action. The goal is to help #GivingTuesday become a major part of the holiday season, similar to how Black Friday and Cyber Monday have become synonymous with holiday shopping.
Who Started This?
New York’s 92nd Street Y has been the catalyst and incubator for #GivingTuesday, bringing the expertise of 139 years of community-management and providing #GivingTuesday a home. The United Nations Foundation then joined as a partner, bringing strategic and communications clout to the project.
There’s also a powerful list of corporations and nonprofits that agreed to be founding partners, helping spread the word and committing to their own #GivingTuesday initiatives.
And then there’s YOU and me. #GivingTuesday relies heavily on individuals and families everywhere doing their part to make it a real success.
Please join us for #GivingTuesday, coming on November 27th and be part of giving’s opening day! Learn more.
Here are 5 easy, fun ways for your family to give back this holiday season:
- Take a vote and choose your family’s favorite cause and then make a contribution to that cause on or around #GivingTuesday.
- Help spread the word about #GivingTuesday. You can do that right now by sharing the messages found here on your social media platforms. Invite your friends and family to help spread the word and share in the celebration of giving.
- Prepare a meal for someone in your community who works hard to keep everyone safe and healthy. Deliver it to their place of work and include hand made cards, placemats and thank you notes so that everyone in your family gets to contribute something.
- Have a dinnertime conversation with your family about favorite foods and healthy foods. Take some of those non-perishable foods from your kitchen and deliver them to a local food pantry or soup kitchen.
- Tell the kids you’re having a #GivingTuesday Treasure Hunt. Look in your closets to find unused items such as kitchen tools, dishes, towels, sheets and blankets, toys, books, clothing. Donate these items to a charitable organization that helps less fortunate families get set up in new homes.
How does your family give back to your community? Do you have more easy, fun ideas you’d like to share? Let’s hear it below in the comments!